4. January 2014

I can't take credit for this adorable baby, she belongs to a dear friend of mine.  But seeing this photo of extreme cuteness on my Frolic Blanket, and having my own baby's first birthday being just around the corner made me stop and think about how having a baby is the best thing that could have happend to my business.
Here is why:
1. When you know your hours of working are limited to baby's nap time, do you piddle around on Facebook or develop drawings that you don't really love into prints?  No ma'am!  Working time becomes a thing of focus and the goal is to buckle down and power out nothing but quality work.

2. Of course there are times when you find yourself sitting at the computer with one hand holding baby so there is only one hand free.  Which makes working hard.  Therefore I've spent lots of time this past year on Pinterest which is really not time wasted.  Gathering together images of illustrations that inspire me has really helped me make clear in my own head what my style is.  I thought I knew what it was but then I realized the disconnect between what I would pin and what I would draw.  So how do I now define what work of mine is Quality (see pt.1)?  I ask myself "Would I Pin this?"  and if I do Pin it on a board with its "peers", how does it stand up?

I am super excited for what 2014 holds.  I have some exciting plans to optimize my time so that even with a soon to be toddler running around (aah!) I can take my business forward in a big way even if my actual hours of productivity are limited.  Its a lot to ask for but I am confident it can happen!  So yay for new babies, new years and new plans :)

No comments:

Post a Comment